2021 Bay Area Gardeners Scholarship Foundation Scholarships Application
The BAGSF scholarship application for the 2021 academic year will be open for submission from January 11, 2020. The deadline is March 19, 2021, by 11:59 pm. All applications MUST be submitted electronically.
BAGSF provides financial support to low-income, underserved and underrepresented students who are pursuing a college education. Additionally, we encourage AB540 recipients, undocumented, and first-generation to apply.
If approved, each recipient will receive the following award and must participate in the following events:
- Each scholar will receive a scholarship award of $2,000
- New scholars will receive a Chromebook
- Two scholars will be selected to receive an additional $1000 under the Tapia Family Award of Excellence.
- All scholars will be invited to participate in the From Seeds to Degrees Virtual Workshop.
- All scholars will participate in the Mentorship Program.
The BAGSF Scholarship is designed to assist scholars of all heritage backgrounds in obtaining a college and university degree. The BAGSF program is open to:
- High School Seniors and GED Recipients
- Undergraduate students (all years)
- Community college students transferring to four-year universities
- Graduate students
- New and past applicants are welcome to apply using the most current year’s application.
- Must be the first one in your immediate family to attend college
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Be enrolled in an accredited college, university, or community college in one of the following California counties: San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara.
- Reside OR attend an educational institution in one of the above counties
- College and Undergraduate students must: be enrolled as full-time or part-time students when applying.
- Graduate students must be enrolled in graduate school.
- All majors and graduate fields are accepted. Emphasis on STEM majors
- Returning applicants: Must follow the same process as new applicants and meet requirements and criteria.
- Complete the scholarship application and submit all requested documentation
- Participate in the BAGSF Award Presentation, From Seeds to Degrees workshop, and Mentorship Programs.
- Complete 10 hours of volunteering in the BAGSF Fundraising Committee before December 2021.
We have created a checklist to ensure you prepare with the requested information and documentation before applying.
- Financial Information – All applicants are required to submit proof of financial income by presenting the most current tax filing, W2 form, and or paycheck stub.
- Personal Essay – Preset questions and instructions can be found in the application.
- Academic Achievement – All applicants must submit a copy of their official or unofficial transcripts. To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must have a minimum of 2.5 unweighted GPA.
- Civic and Community Involvement: Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions, we have modified the Volunteer Hours School, Community, and Civic Engagement. We will continue to ask applicants to submit hours completed as volunteers. For the 2021 application, we will accept applications that have not completed the 50 hours required. To satisfy this requirement, we will ask each applicant to submit a brief paragraph (250 words) describing how they have supported their communities, family members, and/or overall personal/professional growth.
- Letters of recommendations (2) – We recommend all applicants to work on this as soon as you plan to apply. Recommenders can be a mentor, professor/teacher, counselor, employer. More details can be found in the application.